Here I give you 50+ things to consider if you plan to make your own journal or notebook, Midori-style.
I can’t remember a time when I didn’t have a notebook with me. I used to spend a lot on fancy notebooks but nowadays the very basic ones would suffice. As a notebook afficionado and all-around crafter, getting into Midori-style notebooks is perilous! It’s hard not to get carried away. There are unlimited possibilities when it comes to the cover. I think leather would be the best but of course there are others like canvas, waxed canvas, printed textile, denim, textured paper, wood and metal. Next, designing the cover is a lot of fun. For leather I can paint, burn, tool, dye or punch. Or should I go for combinations of these? Hmmm… I want to tell you what I can do with the rest but this is just for the cover.
Let’s take a peek inside.
- What’s the color of the notebook cover?
- How many notebooks should I put?
- What size and how many sheets?
- Should I go for kraft/cream/white/black/recycled sheets?
- Do I go for lined/blanks/graphing paper?
And what about the other details for the cover?
- Should I use a simple elastic band to hold them together?
- What about snaps?
- What about a magnet?
- Or perhaps a belt and strap?
- A piece of leather you tie round and round?
While we’re at it, let’s ponder more on the cover design.
- Just plain leather is already a classic.
- Do I add stitches using waxed thread?
- But should I put a small personalized logo?
- But filling it the entire cover with patterns also sound rad!
- Tassels, beads and charms attached on leatherettes are also sweet.
Oh but what about the accessories inside?
- Do I put a pen holder?
- What about an attached bookmark?
- Do I put folders for receipts and stuff?
- Do I put a zipped bag somewhere in there?
- What about conversion guides, rulers and layouts?
Speaking of layouts:
- Should I opt for daily, weekly or monthly plans?
- A calendar should be in there somewhere…
- To do lists, to buy lists, wish lists and other kinds of lists are necessary.
- Should I put in flaps with pockets for random items?
- What about a flap that is purely aesthetic, with a quote or something?
Love! Love! Love!
*For the record, I haven’t started.